Monday 10 December 2012

White Chocolate and Pistachio Cookies

I love pistachio nuts, which should come of no surprise as I am somewhat nutty myself. Delicate in both flavour and texture they have an almost fruity quality that I think combines beautifully with both dark or white chocolate. I'm going for white this time and adding in a little of it's favourite bedfellow, vanilla. I'd like to wax lyrical about the finished cookies, but to be honest words don't do them justice!

Prep time: 15 Mins (Plus an hour chilling time)
Baking time: 17 Mins
150g Unsalted Butter (Softened)
100g Caster Sugar
125g Light Muscovado Sugar
1 Large Egg
1 Large Egg Yolk
1tsp Vanilla Extract
150g White Chocolate (Chopped up)
150g Shelled Pistachios
200g Plain Flour
1/2tsp Baking Powder

Cookies are so easy to make I don't know why anyone buys them! Cream the butter into the sugars, then beat in both the egg and the yolk with the vanilla extract. Fold through both the chocolate and pistachios. I do this at this stage as it's much easier than after you add the flour. Speaking of which, sift in the flour with the baking powder, then work together to a stiff batter. It'll be quite a workout for your guns, but keep at it! Spoon onto some clingfilm, wrap up and pop in the fridge for at least an hour to firm up. You can make the dough the day before or even freeze it if you are pressed for time.

When you are ready to bake them preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4 and line a large baking sheet with baking paper. There is actually enough dough for three sheets worth but unfortunately I have to bake my cookies in three batches, as I can only trust one shelf of my oven! Take the dough out of the fridge and break off four large balls, like big golf balls and place evenly spaced apart on the baking paper (as they will spread during baking). Place in the centre of the oven for 16-17 minutes, until spread and pale golden on top, then remove. Carefully slide the paper onto a wire rack to cool and repeat for the next batch. You should have enough dough for about 12 big cookies. When the cookies have cooled for about 20 minutes carefully peel them from the paper and leave to cool completely on a wire rack. Time to share them with your friends and family!

No comments:

Post a Comment