Tuesday 1 October 2013

Simple Syrupy Spiced Slices

As I continue on my baking adventure I find myself experimenting more and more, to the point where I now find it hard to resist tinkering or toying with whatever base recipe I decide to attempt, with admittedly varying degrees of success. As much as I enjoy striding boldly into the baking unknown, some of my very favourite recipes are those that are altogether more elementary.

Take these slices for instance. Simply spiced and syruped, they are gloriously satisfying and absolutely brilliant with a cup of leaf tea. Looking at the ingredients it is hard to fully do justice to just how charming these bars are. I really cannot recommend them highly enough.

Prep time: 15 Minutes (Plus 30 minutes after)
Baking time: 30-35 Minutes
175g Unsalted Butter
110g Light Muscovado Sugar
115g Caster Sugar
1 Large Egg plus 1 Egg Yolk
1tsp Vanilla Extract
1.5tsp Ground Ginger
1tsp Ground Cinnamon
0.5tsp Ground Nutmeg
225g Plain Flour
1tsp Baking Powder
3tbsp Golden Syrup

Baking time! Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4 and line a 21cm square baking tin with baking paper. I don't even grease it! In a large bowl cream together the butter and sugars, then beat in the egg and yolk along with the vanilla extract. Add the ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg, then sift in the plain flour along with the baking powder. Mix together to a smooth batter and spoon into your prepared tin.

Bake in the centre of the oven for 30-35 minutes until golden brown and firm to the touch. When you are happy it is baked remove from the oven, leave in the tin for 10 minutes, then remove from the tin, peel away the paper and place on a wire rack with a plate or chopping board underneath (to catch any dripping syrup). Warm through half of the syrup in the microwave for 30 seconds and brush over the top. Leave for a further 10 minutes, then repeat for the rest of the syrup. Leave to cool entirely, then slice. I will leave the size of the slices up to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment