Monday, 28 April 2014

Treacle Flaps

After recent success utilising hot cross bun breadcrumbs as a single part of a greater whole, it may have been sensible to quit whilst I was ahead. Being sensible however, is not a quality often associated with myself, so with my usual reckless abandon I have again come up with another unconventional option for using up any buns that (heaven forbid) may be going to waste.

These bite sized beauties are a marriage of two of my very favourite sweet treats, treacle tart and flapjacks. The oats provide a beautifully biscuity yet chewy flapjack crust, but this then yields to a soft and syrupy centre reminiscent of a treacle tart. The buns themselves will usually add a gentle spice but I supplement this with just a hint of lemon and nutmeg. Of course you may tinker with these elements as you see fit. I personally believe a good wallop of ginger would work very well indeed!

Prep time: 20 Mins
Baking time: 30 Mins
275g Unsalted Butter (Cut into cubes)
220g Golden Syrup
75g Light Muscovado Sugar
225g Jumbo Oats
2 (Around 150g) Hot Crossed Buns, blitzed to breadcrumbs
1tsp Ground Nutmeg
The zest of 1 Lemon

This one is so easy and terrific fun! Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4 and line a 21cm square baking tin with baking paper. If you can, try and use a single piece of baking paper to line your tin. Place the butter, sugar and golden syrup into a large saucepan and place on a low heat, stirring occasionally. Whilst that is doing its thing mix together the oats, breadcrumbs, nutmeg and lemon zest. When the syrup has become smooth and unctuous, add the oat mixture and stir together, still on the low heat. When the mixture is nice and consistent turn the heat off, tip into your prepared tin and press to the edges. It will still seem quite syrupy but this is money in the bank I promise!

Place the tin in the centre of the oven and bake for around 30 minutes, until golden brown on top and slightly springy to the touch. When you are happy, remove from the oven, leave the baked mixture in the tin for 30 minutes, then carefully lift the paper (along with its contents) from the tin and leave on a wire rack.

Once cool slice into squares and peel from the paper. Your work is complete, so why not have a flap or two to celebrate!

No comments:

Post a Comment