Wednesday 2 July 2014

Chocolate Muesli Bars

As I type this I find myself surrounded by quite literally dozens of boxes of muesli, a result of one of my recent baking adventures. Now I do often partake in a bowl of muesli first thing, to fortify myself for the days mischief, but with such a bounty I couldn't resist the opportunity for a little experimentation. These bars, with all their buttery, chocolatey, muscovado-y cheekiness are somewhat less than wholesome, but what they lack in virtue they more than make up for with their deliciousness. In fact, they are a fantastic lunchbox treat and well worth the minimal effort it will take to create them!

Prep time: 15 Mins
Baking time: 25-30 Mins
100g Unsalted Butter (Softened)
125g Light Muscovado Sugar
1 Large Egg
50g Plain Flour
275g Coarse Muesli
250g Dark Chocolate (Melted)

Begin by preheating the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4, greasing a rectangular (26x21cm) baking tin and lining it with baking paper. In a large mixing bowl cream together the butter and sugar, then beat in the egg. Add the flour, mix to combine, then add the coarse muesli and do the same, until you are left with a consistent batter. I use a good quality, coarse muesli as I prefer the finished texture (and admittedly, I have absolutely loads of it).

Tip the muesli mixture into your prepared tin and press evenly to the edges. Bake in the centre of the oven for around 25-30 mins, until set and lightly brown on top, then remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tin.

When the mixture has cooled pour the melted chocolate all over the top. Leave to set then carefully remove from the tin and slice. There you go, all ready for your lunchbox tomorrow! 

No comments:

Post a Comment