Sunday 29 January 2017

Vegan Powerjacks

I often turn to these when I need a naughty treat after the gym, as they are packed with good things to help my creaking body refuel and regenerate! They are also practically sugar free and vegan, although I stopped short of calling them gluten-free, as although oats don't technically contain gluten, the protein within them (called avenin) is similar. I've used dates and coconut in my version but you can freestyle at will if you want to throw in anything else. You're the head chef in your own kitchen after all. ;-)

Prep time: 20 Mins
Baking time: 20 Mins
300g Jumbo Oats
50g Quinoa Flour (You get this from most speciality shops and even supermarkets these days)
50g Desiccated Coconut
80g Vegetable Oil
200g Smooth Cashew Nut Butter (Or you could use a Natural Smooth Peanut Butter)
190g Fruit Based Natural Sweetener (I use Sweet Freedom Light)
165g Pitted Dates (Chopped)
1tsp Vanilla Extract
1 Banana (Well mashed)

For this you'll need a large saucepan, a large mixing bowl and a medium sized rectangular baking tin. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4 and line the baking tin with baking paper. Add the oats, flour and coconut to the mixing bowl and mix together to combine. Add the oil, nut butter, sweetener and chopped dates to the saucepan and place on a low heat. Let it all melt together, stirring occasionally, then add the banana and vanilla extract. You don't want this to boil as the sweetener has a low burning temperature, so once it's all nice and loose remove the pan from the heat.

Add in the dry ingredients and mix together until evenly combined. Tip the lot into your prepared tin, press to the edges, then bake in the centre of the oven for around 20 minutes, until lovely and golden on top. When you are happy the jacks are baked remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tin for an hour.

Once cooled all you need to do is carefully remove from the tin and  then slice into squares. I'll leave how big you make each square to your discretion. They should be soft and just slightly chewy, which is just how I like my jacks. Ooooh I want one right now!

No comments:

Post a Comment